To Washington, D.C. From...
Driving distance quotes are in miles and
are estimates. Your mileage may vary.
Below are some facts about Washington, D.C. and some valuable links about the area. Follow the links to
learn more about the Washington, D.C. area and to help plan your trip to our Nation's Capital!
Other Washington, D.C. Information Sites
Washington, D.C. Facts & Statistics
- Washington, D.C. has warm humid summers and generally mild winters, however, the temperature sometimes can drop quite low. Rainfall is moderate throughout the year.
Jan: 42-26 Fahrenheit/6-(-3) Celsius; Feb: 45-29 F/7-(-2) C; Mar: 56-37 F/13-3 C; Apr: 66-46 F/19-8 C; May: 76-56 F/24-13 C; Jun: 84-66 F/29-19 C; Jul: 88-71 F/31-22 C; Aug: 86-70 F/30-21 C; Sep: 80-62 F/27-17 C; Oct: 69-50 F/21-10 C; Nov: 58-41 F/14-5 C; Dec: 47-31 F/8-(-1) C.
- The Washington, D.C. area is home to close to 600,000 people, 5.4 million if you include the surrounding counties and cities in Maryland and Virginia. An average of 20 million tourists visit the area each year.
- Area Geography
- Washington, D.C. is located on the Potomac River between the states of Maryland and Virginia in the Northeastern United States.
- County Government
- Washington, D.C. is unique in that it functions as a state, county, and city all in one. The city is governed by a Mayor and 8 Council Members, which preside over the 8 Wards. All members are elected by the Citizens of Washington, D.C.
- Sales or Use Tax
- Sales tax is 5.75%. A sales tax of 14.5% is added to all hotel bills.
- Important Numbers
- Emergency Numbers: Dial 911 for police and medical emergencies. Metropolitan Police Department (202) 727-4218. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department (202) 673-3320.
- Telephone Codes
- The area code for Washington, D.C. is 202.
- Time Zone
- Eastern Standard Time (EST), five hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Daylight Saving Time is observed from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October.
- Electrical Current
- Electrical devices here run on 110/115 volt, 60-cycle current. International visitors therefore may need to use adapters or converters.
- US Dollar ($). Numerous money exchanges are available. Most major airports, various banks and American Express offices are available to exchange foreign currency.
MetroGuide.com, Inc. |
Terms and Conditions
HotelGuide and HotelGuide Washington D.C. are service marks of MetroGuide.com, Inc.
HotelGuide Network is a registered service mark of MetroGuide.com, Inc.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
To contact us at MetroGuide: Click Here.